Abby's Super Zucchini Loaf
Abby was a French friend I knew years ago. She taught me the method of "dejourger," which means to draw out water. Using this method I developed a moist but not heavy zucchini bread. It makes other zucchini breads look like lead bombs!
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1Soak raisins in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a colander or strainer; set aside.
- 2Clean the zucchini and trim off the ends. Do not peel. Shred with a medium sized shredder. You should have about 4 cups when finished. Sprinkle the zucchini with 1 teaspoon of the salt and place on a plate. Mix it with your hands to evenly distribute the salt. Place a heavy saucepan on top of the zucchini and allow it to sit for 20 minutes to purge itself of liquid.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans and set aside.
- 4Set aside 2 tablespoons of the flour. Sift together the remaining flour, soda, spices, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 5Beat eggs on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the sugar, a little at a time and beat for a good 5 minutes. The mixture should be light in color and thick. While beating, slowly pour in the oil.
- 6Empty the zucchini into a colander and squeeze to release the juices.
- 7Add the vanilla to the beating eggs and then add in the zucchini. Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time and mix just until the dry ingredients are mixed in. Do not overmix.
- 8In a small bowl combine the remaining 2 tablespoons flour, nuts, and drained raisins, and mix together to coat. Fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pans.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove to a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a rack completely.
Add crunchy hazelnuts or pecans to this spiced zucchini bread laden with golden pineapple.
All the standard ingredients are here, including cinnamon, raisins and nuts. But a scoop of coconut and a whisper of nutmeg impart a rich, delicious aspect to this special loaf.
Extra dense with zucchini, this loaf has the classic combination of cinnamon and nuts to tempt you into a sumptuous oblivion.
Great during the summer. Can assemble with favorite toppings and cook right on the grill! You may use whole wheat flour in this recipe if you prefer.
A strong tasting cheese bread.
Herb dinner rolls: these go with everything!
This is so good and reminds me of a real moist kind of a sweet quick bread. Everybody asks for the recipe: this bread is moist, and easy to make too. Note: If you are using frozen blueberries, you can thaw them in the microwave for about 3 minutes. However, you need to increase the amount of blueberries to 3/4 cup.
This pull-apart bread accented with orange zest makes a nice treat to go with coffee. It's been Grandpa approved!
A light, high volume bread machine bread. It works well when you use the Dough selection, and allow the bread to rise in a bread pan.
Over the years I have revised this recipe until I found just the right mix. It is incredibly moist and flavorful. It may take longer to cook so be patient.
This is a variation of Beer Bread. It makes a fat-free, loaf shaped 'biscuit' that does not brown very well. Sliced thin, it makes a great toast for breakfast.
Delicious, easy-to-make biscuits.
Traditional Czechoslovakian Christmas Bread. Serve with butter. Some people toast it, use jelly, or even butter and powdered sugar...depending upon local customs and family preference. It is a day-long project, but well worth the effort.
- French Toast I
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I
- San Francisco Sourdough Bread
- Slovak Nut Rolls
- Oatmeal Bread II
- Banana Macadamia Nut Bread
- Maple Muffins
- Bread Machine Challah I
- Salt Rising Bread
- Indian Naan II
- Tomato Basil Sherry Bread
- Honey Bran Muffins
- Chinese Steamed Buns with BBQ Pork Filling
- Raisin Brown Bread
- Dizzy Pineapple Bread
- Portuguese Sweet Bread I
- Julia's Hot Cross Buns
- Ruby's Special Cornbread
- Bread Machine Spelt Bread
- Russian Black Bread
- Basic British Scones
- Herman Sourdough Starter
- Chinese Steamed Buns with Meat Filling
- Pita Bread
- Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread
- Snow Day French Toast
- Applesauce Bread I
- Morning Glory Muffins I
- Banana Nut Bread Baked in a Jar
- Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread
- Dark Rye Bread
- Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce I
- Whole Wheat Bread II
- Chinese Steamed Buns
- Irish Soda Bread III
- Swiss Christmas Bread
- Homemade Wonderful Bread
- Applesauce Raisin Bread
- Irish Soda Bread IV
- Oatmeal Soda Bread
- Hot Cross Buns I
- Mary Anne's Moist and Nutty Carrot Loaf
- Christmas Stollen II
- Pain Perdu I
- Fudgy Chocolate Chip Muffins