Traditional Polish Easter bread. Serve as a coffee cake for breakfast or with tea. The recipe makes 3 large loaves.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 (0.6 ounce) cake cake yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 10 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1 1/2 cups dried currants
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped slivered almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1In a small saucepan, heat milk until just below boiling. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat, and let cool until lukewarm.
- 2Place cake yeast in a small bowl; pour 1/2 cup lukewarm water over the yeast. Stir with a spoon to break up the yeast slightly; set aside.
- 3In a mixing bowl, beat 4 eggs and egg yolks with an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Add 1 cup sugar and salt, and continue to beat until mixture is thick and pale. Stir in vanilla, orange liqueur, zests, and yeast mixture. Beat in 2 cups flour on low speed; when incorporated, add 2 more cups of flour and mix until combined. Add cooled milk mixture alternately with an additional 4 cups flour, beating on medium-low speed.
- 4If the dough is very sticky, add up to 1 cup of flour. Mix in currants, raisins, golden raisins, and almonds.
- 5Transfer dough to a well-floured work surface and knead about 8 to 10 minutes, adding reserved flour if needed. Shape dough into a ball. Transfer dough to a large greased bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with greased plastic wrap.
- 6Place in a warm place and allow it to rise until dough has doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Punch the dough down, re-cover the bowl, and allow to rise again for an additional 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter 3 tube pans.
- 8In a small bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter to form crumb topping. Sprinkle evenly among the 3 pans.
- 9Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 1 minute. Cut dough into thirds. Flatten each piece of dough into a rectangle and roll it up into a log, pinching the seam to seal. Lay each log seam-side up in the prepared pans, pinching ends together to form rings. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- 10Beat an egg with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash. Before baking, gently brush egg wash over each loaf.
- 11Bake babkas in preheated oven until until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped, about 30 to 45 minutes. Immediately turn out onto a cooling rack so bread does not stick to the pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Delicious with any soup or salad... and great toasted the next day!
A very attractive loaf, and a flavor to match.
Quick bread recipe.
I make the dough on Saturday night, and shape the rolls on Sunday morning. The rolls rise while I am at church, and are ready to pop into the oven for Sunday dinner.
Interesting combination of ingredients make it an ideal accompaniment to home-made soup, stew or light salad luncheon. Also school lunchboxes or brown-bagger's lunch.
This is an excellent pizza crust recipe. I have found it is really good when baked on a pizza stone.
A crisp, crunchy crust and slightly chewy center make this bread as traditional as the breads served in France.
A sweet cinnamon bread that requires a batch of Amish Friendship Bread Starter. For variations, add your favorite fruits and/or nuts!
Parmesan and rosemary add a delicious flavor and aroma to this soft, chewy bread.
This is a scrumptious loaf to have on hand when company drops over.
- Cracklin' Bread I
- Basic Sweet Dough
- Cranberry Orange Loaf
- Italian Bread II
- Quick Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Nick's Favorite Cherry Pecan Bread
- Fruit Bread I
- Oatmeal Bread I
- Fancy Crescents
- Potato Bread I
- Sun Dried Tomato Focaccia
- Sausage Cornbread Bake
- Nut and Fruit Bread
- Sun Dried Tomato and Asiago Cheese Bread
- Homemade Focaccia Bread
- Butterfly Buns
- Onion Bread I
- Braided Egg Bread
- Nana's Nut Bread
- Easy Blueberry Muffins I
- Maple Twists
- Cranberry Loaf
- Parmesan Herb Bread
- Zucchini Bread
- Mincemeat Quick Bread
- Monkey Bread II
- Cornish Splits
- Red Pepper Biscuits
- Peach Bread
- Maple Zucchini Bread
- Basic Rye Bread
- Persimmon Bread I
- Portugal Cakes
- Cathy's Banana Bread
- Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- No-Knead Cinnamon Rolls
- Cranberry Pineapple Bread
- Blue Ribbon Overnight Rolls
- Nonfat Sour Cream Cake Bread
- Sweet Potato Pecan Waffles
- Blueberry Bread I
- Mom's Yeast Rolls
- Seminole Pumpkin Bread
- Orange Nut Bread
- Dr. Michael's Yeasted Cornbread
- Mocha Cream Bread