Chinese Pork Buns (Cha Siu Bao)
You may find these buns in the local Chinese restaurants. They do take time to make but they are yummy!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 pound finely chopped pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1Dissolve 1/4 cup sugar in 1 3/4 cups warm water, and then add the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until mixture is frothy. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons shortening and the yeast mixture; mix well.
- 2Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with a sheet of cling wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has tripled in bulk.
- 3Cut the pork into 2 inch thick strips. Use fork to prick it all over. Marinate for 5 hours in a mixture made with 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, and 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce. Grill the pork until cooked and charred. Cut roasted port into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 4Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Mix cornstarch with 2 1/2 tablespoons water; add to the saucepan, and stir until thickened. Mix in 2 tablespoons lard or shortening, sesame oil, and white pepper. Cool, and mix in the roasted pork.
- 5Remove the dough from the bowl, and knead it on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic. Roll the dough into a long roll, and divide it into 24 pieces. Flatten each piece with the palm of the hand to form a thin circle. The center of the circle should be thicker than the edge. Place one portion of the pork filling in the center of each dough circle. Wrap the dough to enclose the filling. Pinch edges to form the bun. Let the buns stand for 10 minutes.
- 6Steam buns for 12 minutes. Serve.
Follow this recipe carefully and you will be rewarded with these delicate, filling-free Chinese steamed buns. You can also use this recipe to make the traditional filled versions.
Using the dough for Chinese Steamed Buns, these dim sum are filled with homemade Chinese barbequed pork.
This is an old 4H bread recipe my daughter used to make in the 50's. Best one I ever ate.
This is a wonderful bread to serve during the fall holidays. The coconut makes it moist.
This is a great sandwich bread. Makes a great grilled cheese or Rueben sandwich! I like to form this bread in a round circle, and bake free form in the la cloche!
A banana muffin without the guilt.
This recipe will give you pizza crust that isn't too thick, but nice and soft like you would find at a pizza shop. Dress this crust up with the toppings of your choice.
This is a great bread recipe for your bread machine. It's easy and very good.
A very attractive loaf, and a flavor to match.
A Philippine favorite. Sprinkle with grated cheese on top, and enjoy hot or cold.
A beautiful loaf to see and even more wonderful to eat.
Tomato and cheese healthful, low-fat bread for the bread machine. You may substitute wheat bran for the amaranth flour if you wish.
- Pumpkin Bread IV
- Parmesan Herb Bread
- Italian Bread I
- Crusty White Bread
- Luxury Loaf
- Cottage Dill Bread
- Zucchini Bread
- Fancy Crescents
- Seven Grain Bread I
- Chocolate Bread
- Beaten Biscuits
- Banana Sour Cream Bread
- Basic Rye Bread
- Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
- Jalapeno Cheese Bread
- English Muffins
- Whole Wheat Bread I
- Sour Cream Biscuits
- Buttermilk Bread II
- Pepperoni-filled Bread
- Pumpernickel Bread I
- Cracklin' Bread I
- Zucchini Bread III
- Challah I
- Bagels I
- Candied Fruit Bread
- Sourdough Rye
- Donna's Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Dad's Orange Cardamom Breakfast Rolls
- Monkey Bread III
- Cinnamon Bread I
- Yogurt Cornbread
- Monkey Bread IV
- Dee's Health Bread
- Cranberry Pineapple Bread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Milk and Honey Loaf
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Loaf
- Banana Chip Muffins I
- Beer Bread II
- Hot Onion Pinwheels
- Jalapeno Bread II
- Flower Pot Challah Bread
- Crispy Cheese Twists
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Soft Pretzels I
- Cinnamon Rolls I