Chinese Steamed Buns with Meat Filling
This Chinese Steamed Bun recipe has a meat and vegetable filling. The filling is best if allowed to rest in the refrigerator overnight. Use meat that is half fat and half flesh for the most tender filling. A wok equipped with a stainless steel steam plate, a plate with holes to allow steam to pass, is required to make these tasty buns.
- 8 ounces chopped pork
- 1 (4 ounce) can shrimp, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1Cook chopped pork in a wok over medium heat. After 3 minutes of cooking add chopped shrimp if desired. Cook until pork is no longer pink. Drain, season with salt and set aside to cool.
- 2Mix together green onions, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, oil, sugar, and pepper. Stir in minced meat. Stir in water and mix thoroughly. Chill in freezer for 2 hours, or in refrigerator overnight to firm up and blend flavors.
- 3Prepare dough for Chinese Steamed Buns.
- 4Shape dough into balls. Roll each out into a circle, (like Won-Ton wrappers). Put 1 tablespoonful of prepared meat mixture in the center of each circle, and wrap dough around filling. Place seams down onto wax paper squares. Let stand until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5Bring water to a boil in wok, and reduce heat to medium; the water should still be boiling. Place steam-plate on a small wire rack in the middle of the wok. Transfer as many buns on wax paper as will comfortably fit onto steam-plate leaving 1 to 2 inches between the buns. At least 2 inches space should be left between steam-plate and the wok. Cover wok with lid. Steam buns over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 6REMOVE LID BEFORE you turn off heat, or else water will drip back onto bun surface and produce yellowish "blisters" on bun surfaces. Continue steaming batches of buns until all are cooked.
Using the dough for Chinese Steamed Buns, these dim sum are filled with homemade Chinese barbequed pork.
Follow this recipe carefully and you will be rewarded with these delicate, filling-free Chinese steamed buns. You can also use this recipe to make the traditional filled versions.
This classic, steamed yeast bun is filled with marinated pork, and soy and oyster sauces. Making them takes some work, but the results are most impressive.
A tasty banana bread that's also low in fat.
This is a recipe for people who like banana bread and muffins. These are great breakfast muffins! You may substitute coconut for some or all of the walnuts if you wish.
These are rich little things that melt in your mouth.
A moist lemon bread, good for afternoon tea.
A lovely way to have tea with friends. You will get a lot of compliments on this recipe.
Got this recipe from my mom. It is a pretty good recipe, and can be made with canned or fresh pumpkin. One half cup raisins may be substituted for the nuts.
This is a county fair blue ribbon winning loaf - it is delicate and soft.
This is a great bread for tea at Christmas time when you don't like to make fruitcake. It is an old recipe that belonged to my mother, and really good.
This makes all other egg breads look weak. I learned the recipe from two older ladies in Hawaii. This makes the best bread pudding and french toast imaginable. Try cutting it in chunks and dipping it in fondue---WOW!
Light, tasty biscuits - just as good as the ones served at a popular seafood restaurant chain.
- Cherry Spice Loaf
- Easy Blueberry Muffins I
- Canadian Doughnuts
- Butterfly Buns
- Irish Soda Bread II
- Honey White Bread
- Apple Loaf
- Breakfast Muffins
- Eggnog Loaf Cake
- Potato Bread I
- Cracklin' Bread I
- Monkey Bread III
- Mom's Baking Powder Biscuits
- Sophie's Zucchini Bread
- Darbey Bread
- Poppy Seed Rolls
- Fake Sourdough Biscuits
- Grandma VanDoren's White Bread
- Strawberry Nut Bread
- Almond Crescent Buns
- Zucchini Bread
- Oat-N-Honey Bread
- Bran Muffins I
- Butter Tart Muffins
- Zucchini Walnut Bread
- Persimmon Bread I
- Sunday Dinner Rolls
- Poppy Seed Muffins
- Italian Herb Bread I
- Parmesan Herb Bread
- Easy Biscuits
- Chocolate Date Loaf I
- Crispy Cheese Twists
- Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- Chocolate Wave Zucchini Bread
- Simple Banana Bread
- Poppy Seed Bread II
- Portuguese Cornbread
- The Best Corn Bread You'll Ever Eat
- Irish Bannock
- Beer Bread I
- Orange Pumpkin Loaf
- Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Scottish Oat Scones
- Cottage Cheese Bread I
- Cheese Biscuits I