Crusty White Bread
A fragrant white bread with a nice and crispy crust.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the milk, the butter or margarine, 4 cups of the flour and the salt; stir until well combined. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- 3Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 5Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- 6Mist loaves with water and bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown and the bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Reduced salt is better for you, of course, and this plain bread does not suffer for it.
The powdered buttermilk does not activate the leavening until it is mixed with the water, so you can put the ingredients in the bread machine at night using the delay feature, and wake up to the incomparable aroma of freshly baked bread.
This recipe is for the bread machine. It is similar to homemade grandmother's sweet bread.
These are though to be the original pancake. Serve them hot with maple syrup. They are also known as hoecakes. Serve hot with honey and butter.
Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
A moist, heavy loaf. Perfect accompaniment to a rich, thick stew.
Moist banana bread for the bread machine. All the flavor less of the work!
This recipe was given to my mom from our neighbor. The bread is so sweet and delicious! It's still very scrumptious if you choose not to use the glaze. They are the BEST GUARANTEED!
This is a sweet bread, made into a round loaf.
Ciao! This is an old recipe, hence the enormous measurements. Makes enough for a huge Italian family! You can half the recipe; leave yeast and eggs the same. They are excellent with wine or coffee, and make good teething biscuits if you leave out the fennel seeds.
Melt in your mouth lemony-goodness! These muffins are LEMONY, but delicious! If you prefer, use less lemon juice for the glaze and substitute equal amount of milk for glaze. Or, simply forgo the glaze but this really adds to the overall taste. Also, you may use 24 mini-muffin tins, bake only 10-12 minutes.
This is a great biscuit recipe for using Herman sourdough starter.
- Banana Bread - Quick Bread for Machines
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- Czech Christmas Hoska
- Dark Rye Bread
- Golly Gee Gluten-Free Pancakes
- Batter White Bread
- Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread
- Orange Pull-Aparts
- Italian Cheese Bread
- Raisin Brown Bread
- Russian Black Bread
- Honey and Flaxseed Bread
- Beer Rolls
- J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits
- Polish Doughnuts
- Authentic Mexican Tortillas
- German Rye Bread
- French Herb Bread
- Whole Wheat Bread II
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Plain and Simple Sourdough Bread
- High Flavor Bran Bread
- Oat Bran Bread
- Grill Dough
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I
- Banana Nut Bread II
- Amish Cinnamon Bread
- Chili Bread
- Onion, Garlic, Cheese Bread
- Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
- Oatmeal Molasses Bread
- Morning Glory Muffins I
- Mediterranean Black Olive Bread
- Ron's Fruit Bread
- Honey Bran Muffins
- Bread Machine Spelt Bread
- Sticky Buns II
- Chinese Steamed Buns
- Favorite Banana Blueberry Quick Bread
- Blueberry Bread II
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread
- Southern Butter Rolls
- Irish Soda Bread IV
- Mary Anne's Moist and Nutty Carrot Loaf
- Irresistible Irish Soda Bread