Fabulous Homemade Bread
Best Homemade Bread - 6 loaves in less than 3 hours! This is a variation of my mother Elaine's recipe. She is 75, and still makes hers by hand. I cheat and use a Bosch mixer, that's my time saver.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 10 cups bread flour
- 1In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, stir together 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup bread flour, and yeast. Let grow for about 5 minutes. It will bubble almost immediately.
- 2Measure oats, 4 1/2 cups warm water, whole wheat flour, salt, 2/3 cup sugar, and 2/3 cup oil into the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed with a dough hook for 1 to 2 minutes. Increase speed slightly, and begin adding bread flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Humidity determines how much flour you need before the bread pulls away from the edge of the bowl. It is normal for the dough to be sticky.
- 3Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 4Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape loaves, and place in greased 8 x 4 inch pans. Let rise until dough is 1 inch above rim of pans, usually 1 hour.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until tops are browned. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
This is a lightly sweetened wheat bread that you can experiment with a bit. Try varying the ratio of whole wheat flour to bread flour to see what suits you best.
Chock full of nutritious cracked wheat, sunflower and flax seeds, this robust whole-wheat bread has a wonderfully complex flavor.
This cake like bread is the perfect accompaniment to your morning cup of coffee. It uses Herman sweet sourdough starter.
This bread contains no wheat, eggs, cow's milk, or yeast. I find all of these ingredients in our large health food store and food co-op.
These go great with Italian sauce dishes, we eat them also as a snack like pretzels! The recipe was given to me from a great Italian cook!
Use skim milk and this recipe is fat free!
After much trial and error, I've come up with this basic scone recipe which rivals the scones at Tea & Sympathy in NYC.
Make an outrageously delightful oatmeal bread from your bread machine
This makes a crust for one large homemade pizza, mmmm, good! Be sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
A strong tasting cheese bread.
Over the years I have revised this recipe until I found just the right mix. It is incredibly moist and flavorful. It may take longer to cook so be patient.
This is a very easy recipe that has the added bonus of being lowfat! It bakes into a round loaf.
- Bread Bowls II
- Banana Nut Bread II
- Chinese Pork Buns (Cha Siu Bao)
- Banana Nut Bread Baked in a Jar
- Pizza Crust II
- French Herb Bread
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread
- Chili Bread
- Dizzy Pineapple Bread
- Grill Dough
- Potato Bread III
- Steve's Whole Wheat
- Hot Cross Buns II
- Yeast-Free Bread
- Oat Bran Bread
- Cinnamon Bread II
- Herman Sourdough Starter
- The All-Good Loaf
- Herman Biscuits
- Whole Wheat Honey Bread
- Irresistible Irish Soda Bread
- High Flavor Bran Bread
- Indian Naan II
- Sausage Bread
- Panettone II
- Mary Anne's Moist and Nutty Carrot Loaf
- Applesauce Bread I
- Onion, Garlic, Cheese Bread
- Chinese Steamed Buns with Meat Filling
- Amish Cinnamon Bread
- Kolaches II
- Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce I
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins II
- Banana Chip Muffins II
- Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread
- Zucchini Pineapple Bread I
- Apple Bran Cheddar Muffins
- Quick and Easy Monkey Bread
- Bread Machine Spelt Bread
- Easy Rice Bread
- Russian Black Bread
- Banana Macadamia Nut Bread
- Mediterranean Black Olive Bread
- Old Fashion Molasses Bread
- Chinese Steamed Buns with BBQ Pork Filling
- Welsh Bread