French Herb Bread
Crusty, chewy bread ribboned with a savory filling. This is an authentic French recipe.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1In a large bowl combine the yeast, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 1/2 cups of the flour.
- 2In a sauce pan combine the milk, water and 1/4 cup of the butter or margarine until 110 degrees F (38 degrees C). Add milk mixture and vinegar to the flour mixture and blend at low speed of the mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in 1 1/2 cups additional flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead adding 1/2 to 1 cup more of flour until dough is smooth and pliable. Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- 4Punch down dough and roll into a rectangle shape about 16x8 inches.
- 5In a saucepan heat the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, parsley and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until butter or margarine is melted. Spread over the dough rectangle and starting from the 16 inch side roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll.
- 6Place the bread seam side down onto a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in sized.
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- 8Bake bread until golden brown about 20 to 30 minutes. Brush hot bread with melted butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
A crisp, crunchy crust and slightly chewy center make this bread as traditional as the breads served in France.
This is a rich and lovely braided bread with a scattering of poppy seeds on top.
This bread is excellent when sliced, topped with shredded Mozzarella cheese and a layer of sliced pepperoni, and baked in the oven until the cheese melts.
This makes a crust for one large homemade pizza, mmmm, good! Be sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
You can either bake this bread or fry it. For variety, I like to make four of each.
Use a good sourdough starter, one you have tended to, for best flavor.
Bread machine recipe.
Absolutely the best! Soft crust and well risen.
This delicious recipe is quick and easy when you are pressed for time. I bet you can't eat just one of them!!
This bread can be frozen and is very easy to make.
Pumpkin Bread, a tried and true recipe. I usually make it without the raisins and walnuts, and I get tons of compliments!
You'll be glad you put the effort into this recipe when you get a ring-shaped bread loaf filled with Muenster cheese.
This is the 'traditional' ponczki made by most Polish Grandmothers, like mine. These take time and patience, but the product is worth it. Preferred, traditional frying method is with lard but oil will work fine. I usually mix equal portions. Grandma used a large paper bag, and dropped them in immediately after removing from the fryer. The bag absorbs a lot of the oil. Then, she transferred them to another clean bag, added her choice of coating, and shook the bag.
- Favorite Banana Blueberry Quick Bread
- Steve's Whole Wheat
- Best Ever Cinnamon Buns
- Raisin Bread III
- Tarradls (Italian Pepper Rings)
- Sour Cream and Chive Rolls
- Coconut Pumpkin Nut Bread
- Dark Rye Bread
- Banana Nut Bread II
- Maple Muffins
- Oatmeal Bread II
- Pumpkin Swirl Bread
- Welsh Bread
- Oatmeal Molasses Bread
- Chili Bread
- Pear-a-dise Muffins
- Steamed Black Bread
- German Rye Bread
- Herman Coffee Cake
- Chinese Steamed Buns with BBQ Pork Filling
- Easter Bread Ring
- Herman Biscuits
- Orange Pull-Aparts
- Easy Rice Bread
- Dizzy Pineapple Bread
- Bread Machine Spelt Bread
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Raisin Brown Bread
- Applesauce Raisin Bread
- Banana Chip Muffins II
- Angel Biscuits II
- Lefse II
- Morning Glory Muffins I
- Czech Christmas Hoska
- Banana Bread - Quick Bread for Machines
- Old Fashion Molasses Bread
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I
- Herman Sourdough Starter
- Southern Butter Rolls
- Mary Anne's Moist and Nutty Carrot Loaf
- Yeast-Free Bread
- Italian Cheese Bread
- Ezekiel Bread I
- Slovak Nut Rolls
- Pistachio Bread
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread
- Special Banana Bread