Hungarian Braided White Bread
A beautiful loaf to see and even more wonderful to eat.
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 15 minutes.
- 2Mix the egg, egg yolks, sugar, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, egg yolks, sugar, salt and 3 cups of the flour; stir until well combined. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- 3Turn out onto a floured bread board, and cut into 2 equal parts. Form into cylindrical loaves; let rest for 20 minutes. Divide each loaf in half and roll into a long rope for braiding. Fasten the 4 ends together. Braid. End by fastening the ends, and turning each end under the loaf. Place on cookie sheet, and cover with a towel until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- 4Brush risen loaf with a beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
With this incredibly easy recipe, you'll get tender, milky, moist white bread right out of the bread machine.
This is a yeast bread that requires no kneading! A brief, vigorous mixing is sufficient for this simple white bread.
This is a large, lovely egg bread, braided and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It's impressive on the buffet table at your next party.
There 's no waiting for the yeast to proof, and no blending a little of this, and then a little of that. Just mix the ingredients together all at once -dissolved yeast, powdered milk, oil, flour, and so on -knead the dough and away you go!
This is a really good and moist bread.
This pull-apart bread accented with orange zest makes a nice treat to go with coffee. It's been Grandpa approved!
A nice texture and flavor, great with any Italian food. Grill with a little butter and garlic for garlic bread.
Traditional Czechoslovakian Christmas Bread. Serve with butter. Some people toast it, use jelly, or even butter and powdered sugar...depending upon local customs and family preference. It is a day-long project, but well worth the effort.
Great eaten fresh from oven. Used to make sub sandwiches, etc.
I have been using this recipe for a few years now, and it remains my family's favorite for banana bread! The combination of bananas and cream cheese make this a very moist bread.
Nothing smells better than home-baked bread--this is a hearty bread, great with mustard, corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.
This is rich filling bread stuffed full of pepperoni and sausage. It's good as meal with a green salad on the side.
This is wonderful with spaghetti, lasagna, or another Italian dish, but my family likes it with almost anything. It's very good if made the day before you need it, then split down the middle, buttered, and reheated at mealtime. I use a bread machine, but it can be made without. I like to use the dough cycle, then bake it in a French loaf pan.
This moist, dense and nutty Carrot Bread has been a family tradition for years.
- Basic Fruit Bread Recipe
- Coconut Pumpkin Nut Bread
- Ruby's Special Cornbread
- Best Ever Cinnamon Buns
- Basic Sourdough Bread
- Snow Day French Toast
- Golly Gee Gluten-Free Pancakes
- Portuguese Sweet Bread I
- Christmas Stollen II
- Jule Kaka
- Irish Soda Bread IV
- Ron's Bread Machine White
- Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce I
- Swiss Christmas Bread
- Basic British Scones
- Pistachio Bread
- Pumpkin Bread V
- Carrot Thyme Bread
- Sourdough Wheat Bread
- Tarradls (Italian Pepper Rings)
- Lefse II
- Raisin Brown Bread
- Restaurant-Quality Maple Oatmeal Scones
- Beer Rolls
- Pita Bread
- Blueberry Bread II
- Golden Cake Batter Bread
- Panettone II
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
- Italian Cheese Bread
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pan Dulce
- Oat Bran Bread
- Herman Biscuits
- Oatmeal Bread II
- Irresistible Irish Soda Bread
- Honey and Flaxseed Bread
- Bread Bowls II
- Ron's Fruit Bread
- San Francisco Sourdough Bread
- Banana Nut Bread II
- Bread Machine Challah I
- Bread Sticks
- Chili Bread
- Apple Raisin Bread