Hungarian Braided White Bread
A beautiful loaf to see and even more wonderful to eat.
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 15 minutes.
- 2Mix the egg, egg yolks, sugar, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, egg yolks, sugar, salt and 3 cups of the flour; stir until well combined. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- 3Turn out onto a floured bread board, and cut into 2 equal parts. Form into cylindrical loaves; let rest for 20 minutes. Divide each loaf in half and roll into a long rope for braiding. Fasten the 4 ends together. Braid. End by fastening the ends, and turning each end under the loaf. Place on cookie sheet, and cover with a towel until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- 4Brush risen loaf with a beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
With this incredibly easy recipe, you'll get tender, milky, moist white bread right out of the bread machine.
This is a yeast bread that requires no kneading! A brief, vigorous mixing is sufficient for this simple white bread.
This is a large, lovely egg bread, braided and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It's impressive on the buffet table at your next party.
There 's no waiting for the yeast to proof, and no blending a little of this, and then a little of that. Just mix the ingredients together all at once -dissolved yeast, powdered milk, oil, flour, and so on -knead the dough and away you go!
Whole wheat hot cross buns from scratch.
This Chinese Steamed Bun recipe has a meat and vegetable filling. The filling is best if allowed to rest in the refrigerator overnight. Use meat that is half fat and half flesh for the most tender filling. A wok equipped with a stainless steel steam plate, a plate with holes to allow steam to pass, is required to make these tasty buns.
This is a great biscuit recipe for using Herman sourdough starter.
Irish Soda Bread for the bread machine. This recipe makes a wonderfully tasty loaf.
This is a very easy recipe that has the added bonus of being lowfat! It bakes into a round loaf.
Melt in your mouth quick bread for the bread machine.
These are a delicious cross between a roll and a biscuit. You roll them out like a biscuit, and they rise like a roll.
Use skim milk and this recipe is fat free!
Quick and easy to make, oh so fruity, and very yummy!!
This makes a great gift for friends and neighbors. Also great for Christmas Bazaar item. Decorate with pretty label and a circle of Christmas fabric under the jar ring. Using the same basic recipe you can substitute different fruits and vegetables to make other varieties.
- Potato Bread III
- The All-Good Loaf
- Sour Cream and Chive Rolls
- Bread Machine Challah I
- Whole Wheat Honey Bread
- Banana Bread - Quick Bread for Machines
- Raisin Bread II
- Cinnamon Bread II
- Baked Pretzels
- Orange Pull-Aparts
- Country Seed Bread
- German Rye Bread
- European Black Bread
- Oatmeal Bread III
- Pizza Crust I
- Ruby's Special Cornbread
- Russian Black Bread
- Indian Naan II
- Polish Doughnuts
- Amish Cinnamon Bread
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Pear-a-dise Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I
- Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread
- Creamy Banana Bread
- Old Fashion Molasses Bread
- Lefse II
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins II
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread
- Carrot Thyme Bread
- J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits
- Finnish Pulla
- Czech Christmas Hoska
- Steamed Black Bread
- Oat Bran Bread
- Bread Machine Spelt Bread
- Maple Muffins
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- Slovak Nut Rolls
- Christmas Stollen II
- Basic Fruit Bread Recipe
- Pistachio Bread
- Snow Day French Toast
- Hot Cross Buns I
- French Baguettes