Indian Naan II
This is an authentic Indian Naan recipe. I have made this many times. It goes well with Indian curry which has a lot of gravy, such as the Butter Chicken.
- 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons kalonji (onion seed)
- 1Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- 2Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .
- 3Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
- 4Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under the broiler for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.
This recipe uses a white bread straight dough as the base. When making raisin bread, you may use brown sugar instead of white. Grated orange or lemon rind may be added.
Over the years I have revised this recipe until I found just the right mix. It is incredibly moist and flavorful. It may take longer to cook so be patient.
This bread has all the qualities of a quick bread plus great texture and a heavenly crust. The riper the bananas, the better the flavor. Steel-cut oats are the old-fashioned kind that are not pre-cooked, quick-cooking, or instant. You can find them in health food stores or in groceries that carry specialty type items.
A trip to the health food store will be necessary for these flapjacks, but it is worth it. While there, pick up some real maple syrup to serve with them!
This recipe is for the bread machine. It is similar to homemade grandmother's sweet bread.
This is rich filling bread stuffed full of pepperoni and sausage. It's good as meal with a green salad on the side.
I have been using this recipe for a few years now, and it remains my family's favorite for banana bread! The combination of bananas and cream cheese make this a very moist bread.
Batter Bread is a no-knead yeast bread using unbleached all-purpose flour. Hint: All yeast bread doughs rise best at about 85 degrees F. Put in oven with a bowl of hot water on bottom shelf. Inside a gas oven with a pilot light is ideal.
These are wheat free, dairy free, low sugar, low fat muffins and you'd never know it. Sucant is dried can juice. It can be found in health food stores. If you don't eat them in the first two days, freeze them. Thaw in microwave for 30 seconds apiece and they will taste freshly baked.
Ciao! This is an old recipe, hence the enormous measurements. Makes enough for a huge Italian family! You can half the recipe; leave yeast and eggs the same. They are excellent with wine or coffee, and make good teething biscuits if you leave out the fennel seeds.
- Sticky Buns II
- Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
- Czech Christmas Hoska
- Steamed Black Bread
- Blueberry Orange Bread
- Blueberry Bread II
- Oatmeal Bread III
- Banana Nut Bread Baked in a Jar
- J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits
- Russian Black Bread
- Authentic Mexican Tortillas
- Hot Cross Buns I
- High Flavor Bran Bread
- Oatmeal Soda Bread
- Italian Herb Bread II
- Chinese Steamed Buns with Meat Filling
- Chinese Pork Buns (Cha Siu Bao)
- Herman Coffee Cake
- Spelt Bread I
- Sour Cream and Chive Rolls
- Jule Kaka
- Morning Glory Muffins I
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Basic British Scones
- Light Oat Bread
- Baked Pretzels
- Honey Oatmeal Bread I
- Bread Machine Challah I
- Salt Rising Bread
- Pizza Crust I
- Oat Bran Bread
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I
- Orange Pull-Aparts
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread
- Banana Bread - Quick Bread for Machines
- Ruby's Special Cornbread
- Tarradls (Italian Pepper Rings)
- Bread Machine Spelt Bread
- Pistachio Bread
- Ezekiel Bread I
- Julia's Hot Cross Buns
- Southern Butter Rolls
- Pear-a-dise Muffins
- Yeast-Free Bread
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Old Fashion Molasses Bread