This traditional Polish egg bread is wonderfully light with a slightly sweet flavor.
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 cups warm milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Proof the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl until slightly frothy.
- 2In the meantime, dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in the warm milk; allow to cool to lukewarm. Once cooled, add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture along with 4 cups of flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Cover and put in a dark, warm place until the mixture is bubbly and doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- 3Stir in the beaten eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup butter, salt, and lemon peel. Stir well to blend. Begin adding the remaining flour a cup at a time to form a very soft dough.
- 4Knead the dough on a floured board until soft and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours. Punch dough down, and allow to rise again for 30 minutes.
- 5Divide dough into three parts (see Cook's Note). Shape into slightly rounded loaves, and place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water; brush onto loaves.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 7Bake in preheated oven until loaves are deep brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Once they are done, brush the tops with melted butter for a soft crust.
This is a large, lovely egg bread, braided and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It's impressive on the buffet table at your next party.
Lighter than air, these rich, fried yeast cakes are simply made of flour, eggs, sugar, shortening and milk. They are best when eaten while still warm.
This is a rich and lovely braided bread with a scattering of poppy seeds on top.
This is a variation of Beer Bread. It makes a fat-free, loaf shaped 'biscuit' that does not brown very well. Sliced thin, it makes a great toast for breakfast.
Melt in your mouth quick bread for the bread machine.
These biscuits are cheesy and rich, and fairly close to the ones a famous seafood restaurant chain serves.
This fruity, yeast bread is very addictive. It is good for breakfast, tea time, and after dinner snacks.
Crusty, chewy bread ribboned with a savory filling. This is an authentic French recipe.
Moist bread. Good as written but even better with the addition of raisins, nuts, and spices.
This Chinese Steamed Bun recipe has a meat and vegetable filling. The filling is best if allowed to rest in the refrigerator overnight. Use meat that is half fat and half flesh for the most tender filling. A wok equipped with a stainless steel steam plate, a plate with holes to allow steam to pass, is required to make these tasty buns.
A white bread recipe without a strong yeast flavor. Proofing the yeast first eliminates some of the yeast taste from the final product.
This is the bread that Ezekiel lived off of while he was in the desert for two years. It is supposed to be nutritionally complete. The recipe calls for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried beans.
My grandmother used to serve this with cheese as a pre-dinner snack while we waited for the turkey. She used a heavy cast iron griddle, lightly floured. I use a 1 1/2 inch wood dowel to roll out nice and thin.
- Kolaches II
- Banana Bread - Quick Bread for Machines
- Tomato Basil Sherry Bread
- Amish Cinnamon Bread
- Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
- Pita Bread
- Indian Naan II
- Potato Bread III
- Authentic Mexican Tortillas
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Italian Herb Bread II
- Pumpkin Bread V
- Whole Wheat Bread II
- Raisin Brown Bread
- Banana Macadamia Nut Bread
- Czech Christmas Hoska
- Mocha Muffins
- Spelt Bread I
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Oat Bran Bread
- Steve's Whole Wheat
- Swiss Christmas Bread
- Cottage Cheese Bread II
- Pain Perdu I
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits
- Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
- Bread Machine Challah I
- Pizza Crust II
- Salt Rising Bread
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread
- Welsh Bread
- Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread
- Julia's Hot Cross Buns
- Plain and Simple Sourdough Bread
- Bread Sticks
- Pistachio Bread
- Apple Raisin Bread
- Steamed Black Bread
- Slovak Nut Rolls
- Mary Anne's Moist and Nutty Carrot Loaf
- Old Fashion Molasses Bread
- Basic Sourdough Bread
- Pan Dulce
- Raisin Bread III